Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Tales from the feed zone


A moment with Maddie!


Maddie and Heather - A mother and daughter moment.


Hey everyone,

[This was composed several days ago but only got to some wireless today]

I’m coming at you from the feed zone at the national championship road race in Seven Springs, PA. Usually I’m not in such a position but there is no caravan, so I’m observing the race from the world of the feed zone and handing up bottles to the riders.

Much of the season I don’t see the feed zone atmosphere. The soigneurs all know each other and have their ways of passing the time just as the mechanics have their day’s stories and ways of passing time. In today’s zone there have been friendly bets going around such as guessing the first lap time (I missed it by two minutes, shucks!), the rider composition of the early break, the final top three, and my favorite was affectionately called “the runner.” Proper etiquette when feeding is to remain in one spot and not run along side of the rider. Unfortunately, sometimes an inexperienced person is involved in the feeding process and performs the no-no of running. So before the pack arrives the teams gather to whisper about who just might be “the runner.” Because everyone who is feeding is lined up on the side of the road, there is basically no room for someone to run backwards while concentrating on a rider. Either this person gets in everyone’s way or in the worst case they take them self out by tripping and end up with their butt on the ground. Ah, good stuff, good stuff! Just to let you know, there was a runner!

I guess it was just last week I was in Massachusetts for the Fitchburg Stage Race. I don’t remember much about it other than we actually won the overall. After awhile all the racing blurs together and you can’t remember the details. It’s like remembering what you had for dinner the night before. You know you ate but it takes awhile to remember exactly what.

Spent the 4th of July in Vernon, NJ on the way to Pennsylvania with the Lebances (Heather, Bill, and Maddie). I went on some good rides. The road to her house is the steepest hill I think I’ve ever ridden. It must be 25%. The first couple of pedal strokes I kept popping the front wheel off the ground. Now I can say I’ve done it once!

Pennsylvania hasn’t been too stressful. I only have 4 riders and only a time trial and road race to deal with. With time for myself to ride my bike and no time constraints the bike work has been enjoyable in the evenings. It’s satisfying to dial in a nice clean bike. A good bike just has a certain feeling and sound that mechanics recognize the minute it gets taken off the work stand.

In the evenings I’ve become a Ruby Tuesday regular for the past three nights since they have the Tour de France coverage on their TV (our hotel doesn’t have the channel its on).
There has been a little group doing the same. None of the waitresses understand the fascination with the sport and its useless to try and explain to a non-cyclist so we just stare at the television and order some food.

After the race today we are headed to Pittsburgh for the airport runs in the early morning and then I’m getting a little break until I need to rendezvous in Lake Placid for the Iron man. Most likely I’ll be spending my break in Lake Placid and riding my bike and watching the TOUR! I may even take my watch off!

See ya,
DJB

No comments: