Saturday, October 24, 2009

No more summer- Kona memories

i've been back from kona for 10 days. Summer seems like it's gone for 2009. Milwaukee has been mostly grey and cool. Here's looking back a few more images from the trip.


Of course the obligatory sunset-from-the-balacony photo. Every year I post the exact same photo. That tells you something about the weather there. It's always the same for the most part. It must be boring to be the local weather man.



This year was the first time I've ridden the course up to the Havi turnaround point. No that's not my bike I'm holding. I wouldn't be riding a tri-bike. Riding the course gave us all a new perspective on the race. In a car you don't notice the undulations in the road. It's not exactly flat. This ride was one of my top 20 rides I've done. We didn't turn around in Havi but took the right which climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs. Right Keith? While it was not actually my birthday that day, I considered it my b-day ride. To me, there is no other way to celebrate a birthday than a ride with good friends. I don't really care for typical birthday celebrations. Thanks to Brett, "the Schultz", and Special K for being there with your bikes this year. We got to do it again next year in the other direction maybe.


The beach. Playing in the waves turns you into an instant 8 year old. Until that huge wave comes along to pumble you into the sand.


Would you believe this bike received a lot more attention than expected. It's a small replica of our team bikes that Mark Andrews from Trek made as a side project for his 6 year daughter. He showed me pictures of her OCLV singlespeed bike too. What a cool dad and what a cool job.


Now you must remember this is what we do for a living. I was working in Kona. For example, networking is a popular activity in our industry. It might look like an evening spent next to the ocean with an open bar and delicious finger food but its getting the job done. Are we witnessing a big deal going down here? Brian from Sugoi, Bill from WTC, and the boss from Team Sports.


See! I'm working race morning along with Chris Davidson (Zoot Sports)


Women's Champ, Chrissie Wellington, at the finish line that night greeting Ironman finishers. Some of those people were shocked to get that honor. Class act!


The Champs. Craig Alexander and Chrissie Wellington.



Timex Athletes are class act folks too.

Mahalo for reading,

DJB

No comments: