Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scared of NYC

I'm heading to New Jersey tomorrow for a team get-together. Otherwise know as a team training camp. No physical training going on. Just everyone getting together. All the veterans and newbies getting their clothing and goodies. Pictures and media training. Meetings and discussions.

I have to admit something.

We are going to be right near New York City. I've never been to New York City even though I'm from New York State. In many ways New York City has nothing to do with New York State. I don't think I knew anybody that had been to NYC growing up. What I do remember, and what I need to admit, is that I'm scared of NYC. I really don't care if I ever see NYC in my lifetime.

I know this feeling stems from my childhood. One of my earliest memories is hearing of a place called NYC and a big word that coincided with this place. The word was "mugging." I didn't really know what a mugging was, but I pieced things together and it wasn't good. I was pretty it sure it involved someone bigger than you coming up to you on the street and asking for your money. If you didn't give it up you were beat up. Maybe knifed or maybe even shot. Those early media messages pretty much scared me. So even to this day as an adult I really question what does a place like NYC have to interest me.

I know, I know... its supposed to be the greatest place on earth or something. Really? Crowded sidewalks, traffic!

My good friend, the Greek Goddess Athena Fliakos, recently wrote on her blog...

"What do you do when you board a Bronx bound number 4 train to find a man with swollen joints, ashen skin, and a single raggedy rolling suitcase, a man passed out (but twitching), hunched over one crutch, saturated in his own vomit and reeking of cheap whiskey? What do you do the day after the President of the United States spins intoxicating rhetoric about the power of the American spirit, the compassion of the American people during his State of The Union address when you board a subway to find a fellow human being in desperate need? I found out today that most of us just ignore him. Or stare, shake our heads. Many of us step over him, around him, and startle with disgust when we realize that the wet streak running the length of subway car number 1160 is actually this man’s puke-drool, a rotting bile gurgling up from his throat. “Whoa, Caliban.” I whisper to myself, as I hop on the train. “Say, Caliban. Can you see?

(READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE)


This observation happened to take place in NYC which is a place I know she likes but it didn't help my anxiety concerning the inevitable moment that is approaching. The moment when, at this team camp, someone will make the announcement, " We are headed into the city. Why don't you join us Doug?"

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Doug- I wrote a poem about NYC when I lived there. I hated the city. As you know, I'm not really the poetry type, but if I can find it I'll send it to you.

KG

shane said...

I'm not a big fan of NYC but, there are some really great guitar shops. Like Carmine Street Guitars. He builds telecasters out of reclaimed pine from old NYC buildings. His workshop is right in back of the storefront and his mom still runs the cash register. You'd like it there. He did even try to take my wallet or punch me in the gut.

rr said...

wow, that last comment was super-relevant.

We missed you, I feel like I should have insisted.. all we did was wander times sq and watch the people go by. The break-dancing was unbelievable, you would have had a great time.

Next year, it's ON. Get ready!

Anonymous said...

The universe-creation scenes are mostly confined to one reel and act elsewhere as intertitles between major sections of the film. north face sale After a year of trying out new styles and experiencing what works and what doesn't, Edwin went into greater detail about his process of deciding what clothes to buy. north face He aspires to become a household name in fashion, and his signature technique of pushing the envelope is sure to land him in the big leagues sooner rather than later. ghd uk You can match it with the traditional darks you have from last season, as well as coming in a variety of shades, whether it be a small blast of mint or a key khaki piece, like this crop belt trench coat from Topman.. uggs Fortunately, the style style which makes probably the most sense with an individual level may be the fashion style that reflects who we as people which never is out of fashion..

Anonymous said...

I go there as often as I can, and whenever I do, I think Alan just starts nailing plywood boards over his windows. north face jackets on sale You end up with a shorter tunic, the leggings and the boots. uggs Isn't it a great idea?. north face coats It fitted towards the top, but very flowy from the bust down. ghd online It seems that it hotter to find what ladies on the street in each fashion location are wearing rather than what is on the runway.

Anonymous said...

I interviewed my friend Ruby Buah quite a number of times on a variety of other topics from the Ruby and Yvette video blog to the Women Tell All feature. ghd hair Continuing students will also have the opportunity to choose a dorm room on a first-come, first served basis. http://www.verynorthface.com Your comrades accompany you on every mission ranging from one to eight members in your war party. buy ghd For their first Christmas in New York they held an open house party, and Bruce grew close to his Irish community.. north face It can ..