Monday, February 27, 2006

Mile 342


I had to cut today's drive short due to van issues. I'm bedding down in Grinnell, Iowa. I was hoping to get a little farther than this. I stopped once to try and fix it myself then stopped to find a mechanic. This nice guy sent me to a muffler shop. I'm sure those rough looking guys were ready to close up for the evening but they got me in. I'd like to say Kurt was the man, but 5 minutes down the road I could tell it was a little better but not much. Eventually the noise got worse than before and I crawled along until we found a place to stay. Scouted out some repair shops to hit up in the morning. Hopefully someone will understand how important it is in the world that Doug and his van get to Cali so that life can go on as we see fit. Silly isn't it to expect others to feel our pressure?

After Tim and I unloaded bikes and checked into our room we headed out for something to eat. Driving around in the Volvo we kept smelling the organic aroma of dog pooh. Each of us were asking "Did you step in something?" I could have sworn one of us did. I had to crack the window and check the soles of my brand new sneakers at a stop light. (By the way, I felt like it was the first day of school with my new kicks and jeans). We settled on a pizza joint that was open. Once we got out of the car, we realized it was the town that smells like dog crap. That was a good chuckle! I'm not sure why this town smells the way it does. Its the middle of winter for manure. Papermill? I thought it would be awkward to ask the waitress why the town she lives in smells like dog crap so I didn't.

For the rest of the night I need to forget about the van and get some rest. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Cheers,
DOUG

No comments: