Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Couer D'Alene


Riding in Idaho was awesome!

I started the ride down there.

More riding!

MY SPACE!

The swim start. Looks daunting and beautiful all at the same time.

For about the last week I’ve been in Coeur D’Alene, Idaho for the Ironman Triathlon event. Coeur D’Alene is a beautiful place and I had enough time for a few bike rides out into the mountains and along the lakes that are in the region. On Wednesday we did the expo set-up, which went well since we had 4 people this time. Keith, Ben (the new manager of the team) Shane (the intern) and myself. I had 10 athlete’s bikes to go over before Saturday and one complete build for another guy spread over 3 days so the workload was busy but manageable. No major bike concerns. The athletes brought their bikes clean to me, which was much appreciated. I think my seminar in April worked. I wonder if they thought I would charge them the “dirty bike charge?” My only stumper was a Power Tap that stopped working. Not being all that familiar with them do they ever work consistently?

On race day I spent some time re-charging my batteries with a nap and went for a bike ride. In the evening I went back to the finish line venue to hang for a while. I highly recommend anyone to check one out someday. It’s such a great vibe at these things. It’s not about winning. Most of the 2000 athletes know they are not there to win so the pressure is within oneself to just finish and have a great day. There are so many variables that can happen, even if you’ve trained right, so the attitude to except whatever comes your way is the biggest lesson to learn. For example, my pal Cassidy Phillips was on track for a personal best and within minutes he passed out at mile 14. Twice he refused medical attention. Many cups of chicken broth later he was able to finish. I happened to see him finish and he looked like he was a zombie and had to be carried away. After an IV to hydrate him he was back walking around and hanging out at the truck. Man!

I’m currently waiting to board a plane in Chicago that has been delayed. Jim is picking me up in Albany, NY and then driving up to Lake Placid to rendezvous with the van. Tuesday will be a day off spent in Lake Placid so I’m pretty psyched to catch up with some friends and go for a ride (if its not raining). Wednesday I drive over to Massachusetts for the Fitchburg stage race.

Wow! It’s almost July. Do you know what that means? TOUR DE FRANCE time. I’m not ready to make any predictions since I feel like I’ve been out of the loop lately. Of course Basso is a consideration. Landis is my sentimental favorite but maybe in the top three. Ulrich MAY put one in but I think he may falter to Basso.

Congratulations to my niece Kristin who got married this past Saturday in Buffalo, NY. I was in Idaho so wasn't able to attend another family function. Have fun on your honeymoon Kristin!

Here are a few photos from this past Ironman week. I still have to post some from the last month and will try to do that soon. Keep checking back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, I'm gonna bug you about this one more time... I don't see any red, t-handled allen wrenches with that beautiful little ball at the end...why?