Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Trying to sleep


Group photo in front of Floyd Landis's childhood home


Going up the Manayunk Wall at Philly. Lots of people and they only get more intoxicated and louder as the day goes on.


Learning to scratch behind the ear.


Sarah with her impression of slipping on a banana peel.


I thought I'd post some pics and reflect on my day off in Lake Placid since I can't sleep. I've been all about comfortable beds lately. I think I'll start a rating system. I'm staying with my friends Joe and Jan in Lake Placid and I have to give the guest room bed a solid 7 (1-10 scale) which means its darn good. I slept till 8:00am this morning which is also a sign that it is quiet here too. Lake Placid is such a gem of a place. It hasn't been ruined too much. Someday it may but it is still small enough and out of the way. I was a little bummed to see that a Starbucks coffee is opening up on Main Street. Tourists will love it but I think it is out of place. It's the corporate stuff i don't like seeing. While i'm on the subject of Starbucks I think their latte's are lame too. I'm not the expert but I definetly like the espresso poured over the milk rather than putting milk on top of the espresso. I feel like they rush it. Like I said I'm not a barrista so someone correct me if I'm wrong about the technique.

It was pouring rain in Lake Placid today so I was not that motivated to go for a ride. This gave me the chance to do laundry, catch up with some friends, vacuum the van, Febreeze the van (it smelled like sweaty people), do some blogging, etc. Went to the Lake Plaicid Pub and Brewery for dinner with some friends and a couple of the riders who are here too. Saw more of my friends there too. Lake Placid feels like home to me. Spoke to a couple of local fellas that competed in their first Olympics this past winter. I've known them since they were junior skiers so it was interesting to hear about their stories and catch up on what the Biathlon scene is like for them. Although it's a winter sport I noticed similarities with the stuff cyclists go through with all the training and travel.

All in all it was a good day of catching up. Looking forward to coming back in 2 weeks for an extended stay to do some riding and more catching up.

Cheers,
DJB

No comments: