Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Altoona remembered...I think


Bike racing is all about bleeding from your eyeballs.





Audrey wanted to trade in her bike for Peggy's trike.






I was trying to design a new head cooling system. Granted it is just a prototype right now.






The first one up and the last one to floor/bed. Being a team mechanic is hardly ever having a proper place to sleep.





Real briefly, this is what I remember from the Altoona Stage Race (7 days, Altoona, Pennsylvania).

Arriving Monday morning at 11:15 am and "working" 12 to 14 hour days for the next 7 days. Or so it seemed. Immediately upon arrival I was presented with a broken fork and a request to set up a spare bike for Tina because the airline temporarily lost her bikes. Welcome Doug grab a wrench!

Hot weather and thunderous downpours.

20 second wheel change.

Not eating much. I must have ate something with a dirty hand. I just don't remember. I bought two Lipton Sweetened Iced Teas (blue label) almost everyday.

I remember the blank stare from a rider who crashed. After asking three times if she was okay to continue and eliciting no response, I didn't know what to do except pick up her bike to fix it. (Don't worry, She wasn't bleeding out any body openings or screaming in pain). Its what I do!

Several stage wins and high placings. The green points jersey.

Water bottle thrown in an open window. Good shot Meshy!

Wondering how many times TRIA is going to feed. AAAAAAGH! (inside joke, sorrry)

Tire inflation pumps. 26 wheels. 676 pumps a day. 4,732 pumps for the week. I'm here to pump...you up!

Cheers,
DOUG

No comments: