Friday, September 21, 2007

Reasons to play guitar

While I'm waiting for my laundry I was messing around on YouTube.

Art evokes feeling. The Blues are played with a deep, deep, deep feeling.

"The Blues had a baby and they called it Rock n Roll."

With Jimi's song Voodoo Chile, something was channeled from deep in the soul to create the crossroads of Blues and Rock. SRV's version makes it his own, while yet paying homage to those who came before him.

Some of the heaviest stuff out there.

In the context of its time, Hendrix's was the simply out of this world. Even after repeated listenings there are little things that catch the ears and makes me say "Yeah"! People are still scratching their head sometimes trying to figure out how he did some of the things he did.






I didn't want the uninitiated to think SRV was a copy cat so I choose this song because it rips in so many ways. Talk about tone! Man! Talk about emotion in the notes! I can always feel something in my gut when I hear him play. Man oh man oh man! That's why I wanted to play guitar! Please tell me that you couldn't help but watch the whole video.

DOUG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Texas Flood video.

Did I ever tell you my friends dad was the sound engineer for Jimi, Led Zepplin, and a bunch more great bands. I got to see one of Jimi's smashed guitars in a case on the wall. He has some really amazing stories. I guess one time during a late night recording session the bass player passed out drunk. So Jimi picked up the bass finished the recording and still totally rocked it while having to hold it upside down!

Laura Bowles said...

you crazy