Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ojai then Oceanside

{I posted two blog entries today so look below this one first to go in order}

After Redlands I was scheduled to hook up with the Timex team for a triathlon in Oceanside, CA and then a 4 day camp. But before that, I had to drive to Ojai with the Colavita Team. Ojai is probably one of my favorite stops on the circuit. Although I wouldn't be there for the race at least I had 2 days there to get some bikes built and play. We have a great host family there. Cool people. Good coffee. Good food. Good ping pong table. Good riding.


Ojai host house. In a rare occurance, Eric from the men's team was staying with us too. It's nice to have a few more guys around. Love those ladies but still need some guy talk around. You know, talking about tools and stuff. Eric and I do talk about moisturizing though. "You got to moisturize!" Our hands get dryed out from the chemicals and such. Talking about moisturizer may not be the most manly topic but nonetheless it's a topic in relation to "manly" work.


Another good ride with the team. Guys and gals on this day. The best time to ride with pros is after they just did 4 days of racing at Redlands or 10 days in Chile. Then normal riders like me get to feel like I'm just as good as them. Yeah right! This ride was lead by our host Roy. I remember this ride from two years ago. It heads through the hills to ride along the coast to Ventura and them back to Ojai.


Riding along the coast. Kept looking for dolphins but didn't see anything.

I've been in Oceanside CA now for a few days. I arrived to a pile of bikes and wheels. Fortunately Tristan, another Timex mechanic we hired, did a great job assembling many of the bikes. We still have a bunch of work to do but with two people it will be manageable. A lot to do but at least it's not just me this year.

Oceanside is as it's name suggests by the ocean. I'm literally working on the beach. Well on the pavement next to the beach. People surfing and doing beach stuff.


Oceanside Ride

So I stopped to drink my coffee (found a good coffee shop in Oceanside. I asked some fireman who were outside cleaning their truck) and watch these surfers. All of a sudden at the exact same moment they came running out of the water. Intrigued I figured out they all had to get to school. Most of them were high schoolers. That is awesome. Surfing before school. When I was in High School (oh I sound like a old guy telling a story) I would accumulate enough credits to opt of of gym class. Then I'd schedule gym for my first period of the day. As long as my mom would call in I could miss homeroom and go in late about 9:00am. On those days I'd do a morning training ride. The office lady knew me by name after awhile and asked how the ride went. Looking back from an adult perspective, I think that shows good time management skills and planning. Definetly no slacking there.

Good Bye for now from the Pier View Coffee Roasters in Oceanside, CA.

No comments: