Saturday, March 31, 2007

Redlands, Ca

Redlands, CA - After Fresno headed to Redlands for their 4 day stage race. Stayed with the same hosts as always except Jim and I were at the Good Nite Inn. Sometimes it's fun to stay at the hotel where other teams are staying but this year many teams opted for the new hotel across the street. Can't blame them since the Good Nite Inn isn't the best place. In fact our room was too hot and the air cooling didn't function right. The race had it's good and not so good but to me everything was good in the end. No bike problems!


Random picture of the van because it looks good!


Picture from the Redlands caravan (my office so if you will). No crashes that day for us but did have one rider flat. Riders are supposed to be serviced on the right side of the road but she had a momentary flash back to New Zealand where they service on the left. We could have be fined for that but I think it was overlooked. Besides the fine, it's really meant to be for the safety of the rider and the mechanic so the mechanic doesn't get run over by the other caravan vehicles. Please think of the mechanic ladies!


Elite athletes make things look easy. That's one reason why the general public doesn't really get the attraction to bike racing. I can tell you Dotsie is suffering at this moment on the Oak Glen climb. She'd probably say her lung was about to pop out of her mouth but from the picture you can't tell.


Bikes are race ready in the rack (another one of my offices if you will).


In the pit for the crit (yet another one of the offices).


Hey there Tim! Tim is another pal from Lake Placid that is involved in this profession. He is working a bit with the Advil/Chapstick Team. He is a jack of all trades. He is the mechanic and is a licensed massage therapist too. That sounds like a lot of work to me. Good on ya Tim! By the way Tim is 6 foot 2 inches. That makes me what..? Really, really tall. So tall that I hardly fit in the picture. I hate that!


Before I left Redlands I had a chance to get in a good long ride into the mountains. This is the road that heads to Big Bear Resort. I started in Redlands at 1300 feet and climbed for about 3 hours to close to 7000 feet (I guessing on the final elevation since my GPS stopped working during the ride but at least I saw this sign). It took about 1:20 to get back home and that was pretty much all down hill.




Here is what lunch on the bike looks like. Those sport beans were particularly good that day. Good chewyness.

Cheers!

No comments: