Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer in Milwaukee

I've been in Milwaukee a whole week now! Wow, that is close to being a record. A huge shout out goes to my friends Bill and Jen Koch. They were married earlier this year and Jen has a downtown apartment on the Eastside (cool part of the city) that she is trying to sell. She was gracious enough to let me stay there while I'm looking for a place of my own. So for the past week I've been living the hip urban lifestyle. The weather has been great so I've been enjoying the 40 minute bike commute back and forth to work. I can take all pavement or use the mountain bike or singlespeed to link up a few urban trail sections. Each day I also have the option of which one of the three Alterra Coffee places to visit (See their link in my link section).


Riding along the tracks is one unique piece of singletrack that a neighborhood guy decorates with disgarded junk and train artifacts. Not many people know about this piece of Milwaukee culture.


And then there is a section where cacti grow in Milwaukee. Really bizzarre stuff!


After the tracks and industrial building trail, I eventually ride along Lake Michigan past the Art Museum. Really cool commute I tell ya.



These were some pictures riding around the city the other night from the baseball game,


Wednesday night was Milwaukee Brewer game night. The cast of characters were Tom (the Boss), Eric (Blackhands), Me, Mackenzie (Eric's lady and Colavita rider), Alejandro (Argentina rider), Luca (Italy rider), Gustavo (Argentina rider) and Maryanne (Gustavo's wife visiting from Argentina). We all rode to the stadium. I love stuff like this whem it involves biking there.


Before we got to the stadium we stopped to meet some other friends for a backyard barbeque. The foreigners played american style football and started to get the hang of throwing a spiral.


Miller Park from the nosebleed section.


The gang! I'm not sure what Alejandro and Luca were yelling in their respective Spanish and Italian. Sometimes it's a hybrid of Spanish and Italian that only they understand.


The sausage race. I picked the Italian Sausage (number 3 to win). I believe it was the Brautwurst who won. Milwaukee is known for two things. Beer and sausage. Why not dress up as your favorite sausage and race? Makes sense to me.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the weekend's racing in Downers Grove, Illionois. The U.S. Pro Criterium Championships are Sunday and Tina is the top favorite again this year. Hopefully no crashes in the sprint this year. After that I be back to Milwaukee. Lots of jobs to get done around the office and service course. The rest of the race season for me looks like Tour of Missouri with the guys. Ironman Wisconsin. The bike show in Vegas. Ironman Hawaii World Championships. Ironman Florida. 70.3 Worlds in Florida.

Thanks for reading,

DOUG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thnx for the pic's! all is good, but what about IMC???
You can't miss penticton and the peach!