Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Back from Vegas-Heading to Hawaii


Well hello,

The latest update to be had is that I got back from the bike show in Vegas last Friday night. Although I was gone almost a week, it seemed to fly by. I headed out a few days early and spent some time at the Dirt Demo with the guys and Julie from Placid Planet Bicycles ( the shop I used to work at). It was nice to see them and do some test riding with Bill and Kenny. Thanks for letting me crash with you Bill (I mean sleep on the couch at their hotel. Not literally crash a bike or something).

Monday night we went to a Cirque de Soleil show. This is my second show I've seen and it an amazing performance to behold.

The rest of the week was "meet and greet" with our sponsors of Team Type 1 and also to see about some potential new sponsors from within the bike industry. Lots of walking around and looking at new stuff too. Got to catch up with a bunch a friends from within the bike world as this is where everyone comes together at one time every year. I'm actually amazed that I've met some really great people in my line of work. Makes me appreciate what I do.


Kenny trying out an electric bike. He probably had fun until his friends saw him on it.


The Fizik booth had some incredible gelato!


The Kona Hei Hei 2 9. My favorite bike of the test rides.


The bike with the longest model name. Also from Kona.


A real grocery loader upper. Again from Kona. Known as the Ute. I want one!


Another important bike from Kona known as the Africa Bike. These bikes are donated to parts of Africa in which they make a huge difference especially for health care workers. It allows them to travel a greater distance and see more people on a daily basis. Riding a bicycle is four times faster than walking. Using a bicycle helps a person carry five times the amount they could while walking.


Inside the Venetian. One of the large shopping and places to stay in Vegas.


This performer stands completely still. Still as a statue. If you leave a tip at her feet she may give you a little subtle wave and wink. Curious little kids usually get wide eyed when they investigate the statue only to have it wave at them then go completely still again.

In a couple of days I'm heading out to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii for the Ironman World Championships. I'm looking forward to Friday night around dinner time to stick my toes in the sand and listen to the waves crash on shore. Ah yes, working for a living. Wish me safe travels!

Aloha,
DOUG

1 comment:

rr said...

Aloooha.. love the photos. See you soon!