Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kona update 1

I'm leaving Kona today so while I'm killing some time at Lava Java I'd thought I'd start my Hawaii updates.


Of course it is obvious that when in Hawaii you go to the beach and get pummeled by waves. This is magic sands beach. Sometimes the sand disappears to expose the rocks.


LT Smooth and a hula dancer at Hugo's on the Rocks. Good food and entertainment.


The days leading up to the race are spent working on the athlete's bikes. One way to have me work on a bike is to write down what you need and tell me you love me I guess. Thanks Alex, I think?


Another way to get work done is to buy me some new board shorts. Jeeze Rachel, for some reason the shorts look big enough for both of us to fit into.


My view from my office for the week.


The Kona race bike of choice ready to rock.


I've had the pleasure to help out Dave Orlowsky. While not a champion athlete at Kona (actually everyone is a champion who finishes this race), he does hold a notable distinction in Ironman's history. Dave was one of the original guys to do the very first race in 1978 and after 30 years decided to do another one. Dave is a retired Milwaukee police officer and trained his butt off to try this silly little thing again called a triathlon that started here 30 years ago. Back then he borrowed a Sears Free-Spirit bike and used some cut-off jeans to bike and run in. Ouch! For his 2nd Ironman he had the latest technical clothing and a Cervelo carbon bicycle. What an evolution in technology.

1 comment:

rr said...

Sheesh, what size pants did I bring you, 44? Ha :) Thanks for all your help. Sorry there was no surfing this year.. next time?