Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kona Update 2

Hey,

I made it back to Milwaukeee after a long travel night and day. Even though I slept most of the flights, I was still exhausted and slept a solid 14 hours last night. On my flight from Honolulu to Phoenix the guy next to me kept playing elbow hockey. Both of his arms spilled over each arm rest. How rude. I wanted to smack that elbow because he was being pretty adamant about it. Note to all: when on a plane keep in your own seat zone!

Here some photos from race day. I'll post some more photos in another update so check back.

By the way, I thought I could sneak by my birthday today but thanks to my sister and co-workers for wishing me happy b-day!


This is what it looks like at 5am. It's kind of surreal in the morning calmness. Two thousand people getting ready for quite a day.


Waiting for the porta johns is a long event in itself.


Here is Macca's bike ready to go. The defending champion had to withdraw during the bike portion because his front derailleur cable broke. Bad luck or does he not have a mechanic? Note to the pro athletes: Even though I'm the Timex Team mechanic, I'd be happy to check over your bike if you want.


Timex athlete, Alex, getting on with the day.


Watching thousands of people getting on their bikes after swimming 2 miles is caotic. Wet feet and wobbly legs make for some close calls.


Former Timex athlete and friend Linsey entering the energy lab. Even though you didn't hear us through the "pain" Linsey, us Timex folks were excited to see you having such a great day to end up 5th. You rocked!


Chrissy really rocked it! She was leading the bike, lost 10 minutes with a flat tire, regained the bike lead, and ran a super fast marathon to repeat as champion.

Check back again for more photos from the rest of the trip!

DJB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to know about it? where did you get that information?

Anonymous said...

I'd hire the Doug Brenner Experience to be the Specialized mechanic, just let Macca & I know when you can start. NICE pic of the best tri bike out there!! KG