Monday, May 08, 2006

Sweet Tea Ya'll

Hey, I'm alive and kicking in case anyone was wondering. Its been hard to get wireless or computer access since I left Milwaukee almost two weeks ago. Keith Meyer gets upset that i haven't provided any updates. I think he is my biggest fan. I'm going to autograph a t-shirt for him as compensation for "blog slacking". If anyone else would like to compete in the "I'm Doug's Biggest Fan" contest, please send me an explanation describing why you are the biggest fan and I will come up with a nice meet and greet with me.

This has truly been my first visit to the "South". Its a part of the United States I've never really experienced. Part of the time I stayed with Tina and Chris Pic who live just outside Atlanta, GA. The Atlanta area has a lot of traffic. That's about the biggest thing I noticed. Not for me. Sitting in traffic to me is a huge waste of time. Especially at 11:45 pm on the way back from the airport. What's with all the traffic at midnight.

The race in Athens, GA was high profile. Great University town atmosphere which made for the largest crowds I've seen at a race. It was nuts. The girls raced well but luck dictated 2nd place for Tina as a result of a well timed attack by Jenn McRae. Its not often I get to see the Pro Men race but this time I did. It is easy to sense the speed of the pro men as they go by. Had to hold on to my hat when the peloton went by. Hung out with Black Hands Eric from Targetraining in the pits. There was a huge crash so he had some action.

The next day was the Roswell Crit. Again Tina was 2nd. I actually had to change a wheel in the pits that race. I think its amazing how little action I get in the races as the team mechanic (knock on wood). It was a reminder that anything can happen. I was a little inattenive at that moment since a local guy kept asking me questions over and over..... As a result the Victory Brewing mechanic had to get my attention to let me know I had a rider with a rear flat coming in. Talk about springing into action. No worries though except that the local guys doing the nuetral service jammed the chain on me since they got to her first. In these situations a well timed hip check gets me right in there. No hard feelings brother!

One of the things about my job has nothing to do with bikes or cycling at all. It is the amazing people I get to meet from all over the country. Gina and I stayed in Athens for a week with Ron and Vicki Keenan. For the two of us it was a chance to check out Athens a bit and relax. I'm always curious why people would open up their homes to complete strangers. Ron and Vicki were so gracious with their hospitality. They wanted us to feel at home and they certainly did accomplish that. My bed was so comfortable that I felt guilty about sleeping in it (most of the time I get the floor or the futon). Nothing to do but catch up on some sleep, ride my new Blue bike (I forgot to mention I have a new Blue RC6 full carbon frame that I've been dialing in. It is probably the best bike I've ever ridden), a little bike work, and enjoy the company of Ron and Vicki. Our last night Gina and I did the local Wed night shop ride. It was nice to hammer a little with a group although they should announce where the sprint is a little earlier rather than 20 metres from the line. I realized that after a while that many in the group thought I was one of the Pro Men Colavita riders. That's probably why they didn't announce the sprint line. I had to "fess up" to the one kid because I just couldn't live a lie like that. Little did they know that the real star was Gina Grain who probably took it easy on them.

After the ride, Gina and I met up with Ron and Vicki who took us to a popular Athens restaurant called "The Grit". One of the best meals I've ever had. It is a well know vegetarian restaurant. Has a connection to working local musicians and the many bands that have come out of Athens (REM, B52's). Ron insisted he buy Gina and I t-shirts to comemorate our visit. Funny!.

The next race was in Anniston, AL with Iona, Gina, and Tina. Besides Tina winning and Gina taking the gambler prime with 2 laps to go, we once again were priviledged to stay with another awesome host. Patty King is the owner of a very large car dealership in Anniston. The best words to describe our stay was SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. I get the impression she is a very influential women in this area. The girls enjoyed her a whole lot and she enjoyed hosting the number one women's team even though she said she hated them for being so skinny and muscular. Friday there was a reception put on by the promoter at a local vet clinic. We got to tour the facitly and look at the animals too. Mostly cats and dogs but a few other things like a snake. Some were sick or injured but some were just being boarded there. A huge Bull Mastif named Snookums was my favorite. I wished I had my camera and it made me wonder if I would have liked to be a vet or vet assistant.

My parking meter is just about expired so I have to go (I'm in a coffee shop in Chattanooga, TN). I try and get some pictures posted later.

Is this update good enough for you Keith?

DJB

No comments: