Sunday, October 15, 2006

EARTHQUAKE



An earthquake hit the island soon after I just finished posting my last blog entry. Power has come back on after several hours but who knows if it will last. Most people report being a little scared and having to walk around broken glass. People who were sleeping are walking around in their underwear as many of the hotels are not letting people back into the building yet.

I held on to the kitchen counter and my bike (it fell over on my leg) as the 3rd floor of the condo was swaying back and forth. Kitchen cabinets were flying over and glasses breaking on the floor. Lamps knocked off the tables. Pictures frames crashing to the floor. It was a scary several seconds wondering what to do.

I just read a report it was centered about 10 miles north of Kona. Basically right underneath us.

Phew! Everyone is okay and no Tsunami warnings have been posted. Most of the stores are closed until they can be cleaned up. Someone said the grocery store was a mess. With no food in the condo, we were expecting to do some shopping this morning but we'll see how that goes.

DOUG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug I am so glad you are alright.
I don't know if this was your first earthquake you being from the East Coast and all.
We Californian's welcome you to the earthquake club!

Anonymous said...

did you shake your booty, when the earth shook it's booty??? Glad you and your bike are ok.

catch a wave for me,
strapp

Anonymous said...

Hey Berner,
Who woulda thunk i would run across your blog.

We have to get beers if you are ever near baltimore.

P.S. Your friends are hot! The girls that is.