Sunday, October 15, 2006

Kailua-Kona, Day 1 1/2

I've made it to Kona after a long day of travel! About the only thing that was notable about the travel was lack of leg room and the headphone jack that kept shorting out on the plane. Boring movie anyway. The "Summerhouse"?

The day started with a 3:45 alarm awakening. The thing is I was probably worried about not hearing the alarm that I kept waking up to make sure I hadn't overslept. I hate that. Milwaikee to Chicago to Denver to Kona. All in all it was a decent trip. Arrived in Kona where its been cloudy the last few days with some intense rain storms everyday.

I hadn't even left the airport yet when I was given a call on Ben's phone. One of the athlete's has an issue with her bike. I hate diagnosing things on the phone but it sounds like a threaded insert that clamps the seatpost is pulling out out of its spot. As I've mentioned before, sometimes being a mechanic is less about actually fixing things and more about telling the athlete it will be okay. Don't stress about it. So, even before I had dinner I went ion a mission to find some JB Weld. Hopefully that will cure the problem. I'm worried that the local mechanic she found yesterday buggered it up though.

Dinner was awesome last night. Fish tacos at Huggos On The Rocks. A nice place to stick your feet in the sand and chill after traveling all day. I pretty much went to bed before 9pm Hawaii time. That is why I'm typing this at 5am hawaii time. Actually it is 6am and it is just getting light enough to see the waves outside my condo crashing against the rocks.

Today's agenda is pretty busy for me. I'm worried about having enough time to glue 11 sets of wheels for the race and work on all the bikes to. I need to see if the wheels made it here. If so, then time to get started. Anyone want to have a gluing party? I'll provide soda and pretzels! Oh, and I have to find Kim's bike to fix for her too. Even though I'm in Hawaii it's still work. Hawaii is a nice place and hope to see it some day. Ha, ha!

I think I'll post this update for now without the pictures since my camera is in Keith's room and I don;t want to bother him yet. Check back soon.

No comments: