Sunday, April 02, 2006

Ojai Memorial Crit.


Teeeeennaaaaaaaaaaaa Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccc!

The red team in action

Host family signage. Is that the Pocono Powder Puff in the background?

LOOK AT THOSE BIKES!

Roast Beef with laughs on the side.

Today it was typical race morning routine. Actually it may not be typical but often it is like this. First off, I got some coffee because I needed to get rid of the drowsiness. Lately I've been on an espresso kick. I often don't finish a whole cup of coffee so it just gets cold. I'd rather enjoy two shots and get on with the day. Afterwards I washed the van, aired up the tires on the bikes, and packed some last minute items. By 9:30 I went to the race venue to get a parking spot and set up our little camp.

Other than chat with passer by's, I just waited for the ladies to ride down from the house. Caught up with the Wisconsin boys Frank Pipp (Team Targetraining) and Garrette Peltonen (Health Net). They are racing well and looking strong. I think Garrette's Blog is pretty funny http://www.garrettpeltonen.blogspot.com/. I don't think Frank has gotten into the whole "tell everyone what is up thing" and I admire the humbleness. Spot on Frank!

My job today during the race is to man the pit. In crit races there is a designated spot just past the start/finish line where the team mechanics stand in case one of the riders has a mechanical. Once again I had no action! Of course that is a good thing for the riders. I hope I'm not jinxing it but all last year up until now I can't recall but maybe once where one of my riders needed service. The spares bikes are in the pit with me and looked hot! Many people stopped to ooh and aah over them from the sidewalk.

I think I'll just copy what happened in the race today. The Colavita Cooking Light Team took to the streets of downtown Ojai for an NRC race today. The course is a very difficult 1 mile circuit with a steep climb on the back stretch of the course that softens up the freshest of legs. Many attacks were launched but nothing was able to get away as the wind was a discouraging factor for riders that tried to brave the protection of the peloton. Colavita Cooking Light policed the front of the field and made sure that any rider that did try to breakaway was covered, as the team had super sprinter Tina Pic ready to launch her famous sprint. Sima Trapp, Sarah Tillotson, Brooke Ourada and Audrey Lemieux did the lions share of the early work and with two laps to go the Victory Brewing train came blazing to the front in hopes of setting up their fast finisher Laura Yoisten. Victory drove the pace until the final time up the back stretch climb when Colavita Cooking Light’s climber Dotsie Bausch made an acceleration that derailed the Victory Train. Bausch blasted over the climb with Laura Vangilder of Lipton, Colavita Cooking Lights Tina Pic, and Victory Brewings Laura Yoisten who had switched tracks, in tow. When Bausch pulled off it left VanGilder in front leading out, and both Pic and Yoisten launched their sprints from opposite sides. In the end Pic crossed the line first with a few bike lengths to spare with Laura Yoisten second and Laura Vangilder in third.

It is definately awesome to see Tina win. She can seem so casual about the whole scene but once the race starts don't try to push her around. Watch out! Tina, Sima, Sarah, Brooke, Audrey, and Dotsie are all great riders to work with on and off the bike. I will miss them all a little as I fly off to Arizona tomorrow morning to work with the TIMEX team for two weeks. Life is good when you are around good people. I look forward to getting back with them.and their brand of insanity.

Tonight was spent packing for Arizona which means which t-shirts to take since I need to shift from Colavita Cycling Team shirts to the Timex Multisport Team shirts. Oh what a chore! Sounds like I'll be busy at Timex camp but I'm told we are staying at a plush resort so I hope I get to enjoy more than the parking lot. I'll let you know.

Sarah let me listen to a copy of the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs this afternoon. It is sounding good tonight as I pack. I think it is going to make it to this guys ipod for further scrutiny. Thanks Sarah! Hey Dan Tillotson. (Mention number two for him). By the way, I think I fixed the comment section. I didn't realize that I had it set so only blog members could send me a comment. Now anyone can, I hope. Thanks to Sarah on that one too.

Getting late. If you Colavita ladies read this I'll see you down the road soon. Bye! (Someone send that picture of me and my herom Lori took)

DOUG

2 comments:

The Smessies said...

Looks like Laura learned a few photo tricks from the best. Congrats on a successful weekend girls.

Anonymous said...

I'm envious! You're having too much fun! Enjoying hearing what you're doing!