Thursday, April 06, 2006

Tri Life


We're all friends here right? I was too busy blogging to go get some shorts.

Our slap on the hand notice from Sally!

Keith says I always comment on how much I like the foamy soap dispenser. I love these things. How does it work?


Whoa! Its a whirlwind here at IM AZ (that's short hand lingo for Ironman Arizona). I'm still gluing tires in amongst all the other things that have to be done. Yesterday was set up day. This takes anywhere from 4 to 7 hours to set up the tents and displays and all the crap we have to set up. I was so exhausted by 7pm that I prettty much ate dinner (only because someone had prepared it) and went to bed. Yesterday morning we were given a warning by Sally from the community action police that our truck was violating some sort of rule in the neighborhood. I guess its too big. Also its a no no to have the garage door open unless you are in the garage working. Things are neat and tidy here in this neighborhood. That probably explains why no one is outside saying howdy neighbor.

Since I went to bed so early I got up at 5:00 am to glue some tires and sip coffee in the garage ( and yes I opened the door BECAUSE I WAS WORKING!) By 9:00 I was on a mission to a bike shop to find a Silca right angle pump head adaptor. This is a necessity to inflate disc wheels and I left mine with my box in California. I hate when I do that!. These little adaptors affectionately know as "crack pipes" are like gold. It took me 3 shops to find one and they had one left. To the dude at Tempe Cycles thanks for nothing. Try searching a little harder for the cassette spacers you said you had. Don't make it so obvious when you don't feel like searching after only 2 minutes. "Sorry pal I just can't seem to find any right now". DWEEB! Thanks to Landis Cyclery. They were on the ball (and get a attaboy mention on my famous blog).

I found out Dave Obrien likes my blog. Dave is from corporate Timex and is awesome to work and hang with. This is his last event since he is moving on to a better job. I'll miss you Dave. Let's hug.

Ben Harper, you and Keith are one piece of work. Keith is crying tears from the laughter you guys are experiencing on the phone.

Other than working on atletes's bikes all day I seem to attract people looking for directions or looking for answers to their questions. I literally have no idea about the water temperature, where to park on race day, where registration is, and where their bike is that they shipped. I know how to get from the house to the back of the truck and that is about it. Sorry. That's why there is a info booth which is located 5 feet away from my tent so go over there and see Mrs. Stars and Stripes. Stars and Stripes as I call her is a volunteer at the info booth. She is about 65 with U.S. flag sneakers, white slacks, last year's volunteer shirt on backwords, and bright red lipstick which is applied with gusto to create a smiley face up to her nose. She calls most of the young fellas including myself "kiddo". "Hey, where are you from kiddo!" "How much are these bikes kiddo?"
Me and her started on rocky ground initially because I told her she couldn't lock her mountian bike to my bike rack. I said it would be in my way and suggested she should lock it to a nearby tree. Fortunately she forgot about that incident and asked me to borrow some black tape which I abliged and our friendship blossomed from there.

The day is over. More bikes to work on tomorrow. See ya!

DOUG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really Doog pull your pants up for god's sake-or at least Sally's. I'm sure you are violating two or three neighborhood codes undressed like that.

Anonymous said...

Come back to LP and I'll take you down the bobrun, that will toughen you up a bit.

TC said...

Howdy neighbor! Your crack pipe's in the van...I'll say hi for the girls cuz they say they don't have time for that. Whatever that means.
I'll second the pants comment...see what happens to you when you hang out with triathaletes too much? Next you know you'll be hanging out in a speedo...for real.

DOUG BERNER said...

I refuse to slide on the speedo. No way!

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, can I hire you for a bachelorette party? Oooo la la!!