Friday, December 29, 2006

Great, Great, Great, House of Guitars

I’ve been in Rochester, NY for the Christmas holiday. More specifically Webster, NY where my family lives. It was nice to have a break but now I’m returning to the “workload” and can’t stop thinking of all the things that need to be done in a month’s time while I’m sitting on the plane. Flying to Rochester was a bit long since I had to forgo my original flight. There were mega delays all over and I was going to miss a connecting flight in Detriot. Friday was a wasted day of waiting and waiting only to try again on Saturday. Then my return flight was cancelled and I had to re-book that flight since the one they put me on was not good. All in all, I must say the Northwest folks were nice. Someone said I should have asked for flight vouchers but I was just happy they upgraded me to first class (first time ever for me) and retrieved my guitar from the baggage hold when it was determined my flight was all screwed up. By the way. my guitar made it to Rochester fine and I assume it will make to Milwaukee just as fine. I love that guitar!

Family Christmas was pretty casual. I forgot to take any pictures though. My niece and her husband were on the final leg of an around the world tour and had lots of adventures to talk about. My nephew explained how to olley on a skateboard. My mom has a new hearing aid so we are all glad that she can hear us now even though she thinks it doesn’t work right.

I was able to find a Carhart brand sweatshirt too. In case you didn’t know, Carhart makes the best hooded sweatshirts. I’m not being opinionated on this matter. I’m just right. Their “hoodies” are thick and built to last. They fit good (not too short in back) and don’t shrink in the wash. Certainetly one of Doug’s “Top Picks.” While I’m at it, another “Top Pick” are smartwool socks. Great socks to wear in the winter and work awesome as cold weather cycling socks. I was able to buy these in the same store too.

One of the perks to visiting Rochester is going to the House of Guitars. This is one of the most amazing places on the earth. It’s been around as long as I can remember and is right by the house I grew up in. The place is part music store, part museum, and part shrine to the history of rock and roll all by accident. It is absolutely amazing and there is nothing else like it in the world. In fact, it’s known as the great, great, great house of guitars. I love the place for its plethora of guitars and amps but you don’t need to be a musician to visit this place at least once in your life. At this point, sit back and enjoy the picture tour.


Welcome to the great, great, great house of guitars. It is located in Irondequoit, NY right around the block from the house I grew up in.


In today's age of merchandising we are used to everything neatly arranged so the customer can find what they are looking for. Not at the HOG. T-shirts lay on the floor and music selections are arranged in such a manner it's a wonder how anything is sold. The amazing thing is that there is a system here because an employee can find your request in the snap of a finger. As a kid I came here to buy cassettes and I learned to just ask for it rather than browse. If it was a new release it was always behind the checkout counter anyways. You can spend hours browsing for old and new stuff here. If this place were bought out and a merchandising system implemented I think there would be a boycott. The HOG is what it is!



Everywhere you go at the HOG there is some sort of memorabilia tacked to the walls and rafters. They are particularly known for the wall of autographs. When I was a kid it was a small hallway. Now it's grown the whole length of the building. Every musician that's played in Rochester has visited at some point. Not only just for visits but to buy equipment. I once heard that the store was opened late at night for Ozzy to come in with the band to buy amps. Stuff like that is legendary and happens quite a bit I would bet.


Moving on with the tour, we walk down a narrow hallway that attaches the back building to the front building and we emerge into the main area of the store that contains the guitars. There is a floor upstairs that I've never been to. One day I hope to get up there for a quick visit. There is just so much stuff to look at that usually after 4 or 5 hours I need to get going because of dehydration or the fact that the owner gave me a wicked deal on a guitar that I was stroking and I shouldn't be spending the money. The place is so packed with guitars that there is hardly any room left for people (To be honest I didn't realize there were that many guitars on top of the display cases until I took this photo). Two people cannot fit side by side in the aisles. No one is put off by the cramped quarters though. Like I said, it is what it is. We all say "scuse me" or "behind ya" and smile as if to say this place is nuts. We are all one. Fathers buying their son his first guitar, shredders stuck in the 80's, and young punks. It's an example of every one just getting along. The way the world should be and sometimes music brings that about. (Add the perplexed looking grandmas who got dragged into the store and you have quite a melting pot.)


Here is an example of one of the aisles.


Once again no merchandising here. Guitars are stacked and packed into whatever space there is. Luckily the place is very hands on. No "just looking" allowed here. You have to grope and stroke them all. Somewhere in there is a 3-tone sun burst with a mint green guard. Um delicious!


Venture down another hall, lined with posters,bongos, dusty old amps and a mysterious door leading to the basement, and you come into the amp room. I think I need a napkin to wipe up the drool off my chin. I couldn't get the whole room in the shot. Once again it's all plug in and try it out. It's awesome until a 12 year old comes in and rips it up. Then you feel like all you can pluck out is "twinkle, twinkle little star" on one string.


Hope you enjoyed a little glimpse into a rock n roll landmark in the least likely of places. If you're a fan of music, a trip to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland, OH) and the House of Guitars is a must do. Thanks for joining the tour. Tips are not expected but are appreciated. Anyone? Anyone?

Cheers,
DOUG

No comments: