Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year



Being the end of the year I’d thought I take a minute to reflect on the past year. To begin, thanks to all the people I work with. This industry isn’t making us rich so at least I have good folks to be around. The same is true of all the riders I get to take care of. You should know who you are and I consider you all great friends. What a blast we have traveling around this country. Looking forward to seeing you all at the races even if some of you are on different programs.

Looking back at some of the memorable moments of 2006…


The two week trip to California because I had to replace the van engine in Atlantic, Iowa and then again in Grand Junction, Colorado. (Good Luck with the van this year Team Advil/Chapstick).



Meeting Sima T. and Sarah T. I consider them memorable for so many ways that maybe I shouldn’t mention. They did buy me a used skateboard and Sima picked out a used shirt to for me which instantly endeared them to me (even if it was a little tight and short in the sleeves and I have no skate skills). Great time in Nashville too.


Driving a little less than 24,000 miles and spending over 200 days on the road somewhere. I’ll always remember that.


Getting to see Washington, DC on a bike and taking pictures with Japanese tourists who thought I was someone important. Just think. Back home they are showing their friends a picture of me with their daughter and grandma.


Tina’s many wins. I’m always amazed how she blows them away in a final sprint. Why she doesn’t win North American Female Racer of the Year Award is beyond me.

Most memorable day of racing was that windy road stage at Nature Valley. Crashes, wheel changes, bike swaps got my adrenaline going. The riders may say it was the worst day but I disagree and say it was epic and showed how tough they were (sorry no pictures).


All the good folks I met along the way that housed me, fed me, gave directions, installed van engines. There are great people all over the country.


The two hour climb to Apex Ski Resort in British Columbia. I was told it was a good ride. Had no idea it would be two hours uphill. Saw a bear too. Awesome day. Most of the rides I did were memorable for one reason or another (ex. Riding with Shane and Athena) but this one stuck out.


The rain/hail storm at the crit in Minneapolis. Everyone has a story from that one. Never saw water flowing up through the man hole covers like that before. Never saw my spare wheels float away like that either.


Fast wheel changes, quick bike swaps, and last minute fixes.


Mountain biking in Sedona, AZ with Keith after the Timex Training Camp.


Spending time in coffee shops with friends.


Riding out the earthquake in Hawaii. Also on the same day I survived a wave pummeling at the beach. Being tossed like a wet noodle is memorable.

Well, there's some of my memorable times from 2006. There are more but I can't be expected to remember them all or else we'd be here all day. I'm not sure if I have any New Year's Resolutions. I did notice that I've bought two magazines lately that have addressed "becoming the new you." Mostly, I'd like to stretch more and eat healthy. Oh yeah, and spread whirled peas!
Learn "Lenny" by SRV, decide on a full suspension bike,...........