Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Taking a deep breath


A big bike!


Kids that wish they were medievel nights.


Driving through Glenwood Canyon when the van was okay and life was good.


Grand Junction is down in the valley somewhere.


Serenity Now! Serenity Now! Today is Tuesday in Grand Junction, CO. The latest update on "Doug's Travels" is that I'll be spending about 4 days here. I spent the better part of yesterday figuring out what to do with the van. Long story short it is getting a another new engine installed. I don't know the details but the mechanic here and the one in Iowa went to bat for me and somehow, someone is paying for it. The engine manufacturer wanted me to send in the engine so they could inspect it before deciding if it was a warranty issue. I just about fell off my chair. That would take two weeks. The engine has 800 miles on it. Obviously something is not working. Luckily we are moving forward on the issue but I have to wait, AGAIN! Someday I will get to Fresno. At this rate I should be stopping in Las Vegas for an new engine.

I stopped in a local bike shop for some riding directions. The weather is going to get worse later in the week so he suggested I do the loop that was a stage of the Coors Classic and where they filmed American Flyers. (Hey Plow, have you been here?). I left kind of late in the day and I missed a turn somewhere so I didn't do the whole loop. Did some good climbing though. Had to go through a tunnel. That was a trip. In the middle there wasn't enough daylight so all of a sudden the lights went out.

I was in Grand Junction in 1990 and it didn't seem as big as it is now. It is considered a metropolis now. Wish I had my mountain bike. Awesome routes to explore. I'd love to ride from here to Moab.

I'm thinking I should travel with some posters and what-not if I'm going to spending so much extended stays in hotels. You know spruce up the room a bit.

Wel, I'll post some pictures from the last day or two before I head to the coffee/chill shop.

Cheers,
DOUG

1 comment:

TC said...

I took a photo in the same exact spot through the sunroof of the volvo-yours is better. Mine is mostly of the roof rack.