Thursday, March 02, 2006

Walnut



Well I made it through yesterday. Not much to write about. Couldn't take many photos since the batteries were low.

I awoke with that particular feeling where I didn't know where I was for a few seconds. First thing in the morning I hit up the WalMart. I try not to frequent this store much but its right across the street from the hotel to get some groceries. I was early enough to witness the employee stand around in a circle pep talk thing. For the 30 minutes I was shopping, 5 employees asked me if I was finding what I was looking for.

Eventually I got suited up and went for a ride. For no particular reason I decided to ride to Walnut, Iowa. Mostly because it seemed the right distance away. Walnut, as I discovered, has a population of 894. It consists mostly of antique shops. It has an optimists society (not sure what that is. Initially I thought it read optometrist society). Do they have meetings and look on the bright side of life?

At the end of the ride I checked on the van. The whole front end was off and the engine was pulled out. John found some other things wrong and needed my approval so it was perfect timing.

I rode around town but not much to see. It does have a "bike shop" but there was a sign that read "car parts 50% off". It might be worth a stop in. The rest of the day I took a nap while watching the tube and went out for dinner. Dinner at the Feed Lot.

Today's schedule looks similar so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
DOUG

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Not your Mom, someone else's Mom:

Doug, I can't stop laughing. You are a marvelous writer. I'm sorry about the van breaking down and you missing soem races, but it is an adventure.

I was driving a '91 Renault thru Slovenia a couple of weeks ago on a road trip from Perugia, Italy to Dresden, Germany with stops in Maribor, Slovenia and Munich, Germany. After filling up at a gas station in Maribor, the started on the car decided to quit working. We were towed across town and the starter replaced in under 2 hours and it was the noon hour. You know how they prize their lunch time in Europe. It cost 40 euro for the tow and 70 euro for the starter and labor.

That could not happen in the USA.

I also enjoyed reading about the check (I visit blogs for the pictures too...) and the thief who "borrowed" your clothes.

Hope your day is going well.

Lynn Miller